Monday, February 21, 2011

When Minor Becomes Major

Tim Burke pushes through nagging shoulder pain and learns an important lesson about caring for the body.

For almost nine months prior to finally tearing my rotator cuff, I had been experiencing pain and discomfort in my right shoulder.

At first, it was just slight inflammation and soreness. Ample amounts of ice and Advil seemed to work fine at that point. I would rest it for a few days, let it heal and then get right back to work. Before I knew it, the pain had really started to become a problem. It became almost constant and would keep me awake through all hours of the night with burning and shooting sensations. Ironically, I felt like I hadn’t lost any strength, so I kept pushing.

After four months, it became apparent that something was truly wrong with the shoulder. Despite all these symptoms hindering my body, I still had not seen a doctor. I figured I knew the answer: rest it. But I couldn’t rest because sectionals were right around the corner and it was time to really pick up the pace. I maintained my rigorous training schedule right up to the week before sectionals, ignoring any pain I felt. I was not going to let a “minor” injury stop me. After a brutal first day, I went home and had a terrible pain I had never felt before. I also could not lift my arm past 90 degrees.

This is when I finally realized something was seriously wrong with me.

Tessie Santiago Jessica Simpson Mandy Moore Shannon Elizabeth Maggie Gyllenhaal

No comments:

Post a Comment