Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pregnancy for an Elite Competitor: Part 1

At the Rogue Vs. Again Faster Throwdown in Lake Tahoe, Calif., 2009 Games champion Tanya Wagner talked about her pregnancy and how it has changed her CrossFitting.

For Wagner, pregnancy came as a pleasant surprise right before the 2010 Games. In fact, she found out the good news three days before she got to the Home Depot Center, and she admits she was happy she had signed on to compete for her affiliate rather than as an individual.

“I honestly probably would have backed out,” she says.

Wagner, who runs CrossFit Apex with her husband Josh, has had to moderate her workout intensity and frequency.

“It’s the coolest thing when you’re pregnant,” Wagner says. “Your body just doesn’t allow you to do certain things.”

For instance, she says that when she works out hard, she pays for it with extended recovery time.

“I just had to play with that intensity because it was kind of hard for me to not just go full steam. It’s just what I’m used to doing. I’m used to just giving it my all, but I would need a couple of days to recover after that,” Wagner says.

7min 31sec

Additional reading: Working Out for Two by Lauren Joseph, published Aug. 13, 2010.

Tricia Vessey Aki Ross Ashley Tappin Carmen Electra Amanda Marcum

No comments:

Post a Comment