Monday, July 18, 2011

Preparing for Masters: Jacinto Bonilla

Join reporter Jennifer Hunter as she shares the story of Jacinto Bonilla of CrossFit NYC.

Bonilla is a 72-year-old trainer at his gym. After finding CrossFit at age 67, Bonilla decided to give a second career a try and retired from radiography to become a coach. Even with an athletic background in competitive running, bodybuilding and circuit training, he says, “CrossFit really humbled me. ... I thought I was in shape.”

Now Bonilla is definitely in shape as he prepares for the 2011 Reebok CrossFit Games.

Bonilla competed in the 2008 CrossFit Games and had planned on competing in regionals last year, but an injury took him out of the competition. This year, he finished seventh overall in the masters 60-plus division and looks forward to the main event at the Home Depot Center this July.

When asked about how aging affects him as a CrossFitter, Bonilla replies, “You slow down, but that’s about it, you know. I still feel as strong as I was, and I still feel that I could do a lot of things.”

Bonilla concludes: “I wish … that every 70-year-old could do the things I do.”

8min 27sec

Additional reading: CrossFit After 40 by Dr. Allison Belger, published Jan. 30, 2010.

Zooey Deschanel Tara Reid Coco Lee Katy Perry Vinessa Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment