Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens could reap benefits from Final Four

Being a young coach in the Final Four has its benefits and VCU's Shaka Smart and Butler's Brad Stevens will reap some of them this spring.

According to a story on ESPNChicago.com, the Chicago Cubs plan to invite Smart and Stevens to sing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during the seventh-inning stretch at Wrigley Field.

"I would never turn that opportunity down, but I think we have to win a little bit more to get that offer," Smart told "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "I would love to do it. I love Wrigley, there's no place I'd rather be to watch a ballgame."

But Cubs spokesman Peter Chase told ESPNChicago.com that a plan is already in the works and that the team will reach out to Smart and Stevens after the tournament.

Stevens�already knows what it's like to be the star attraction at Wrigley Field. After his Bulldogs made it to the national championship game last year, Stevens was not only invited to Wrigley to sing during the seventh-inning stretch, he also threw out the first pitch.

For Smart, the trip to Wrigley will be homage to his grandfather, Walter King, who passed away�Tuesday morning in Chicago. Smart said Monday some of his fondest memories were with King at Wrigley Field, sitting on the first base side trying to catch foul balls. Smart, who is from Madison, Wisc., said Chicago has become his second home.

"I'm a big Cubs fan, probably been to -- conservatively -- 50-60 Cubs games over the years," Smart told the radio station. "I once caught a Ryne Sandberg foul ball at my grandfather's feet. So I'm a big Cubbies fan."

Izabella Scorupco Carla Campbell Penélope Cruz Kristen Bell The Pussycat Dolls

No comments:

Post a Comment